The Tizen Samsung Gear 2 Smart watch seems to be quite well received by many, with some draws backs, one being the limited number of Smart phones that you can use the Gear 2 / Gear Neo with. For the limited compatible handsets there is a workaround that some have successfully used, but there are some caveats with regards to what does and what does not work.
Heres the information below collated by XDA Developers Member aooga, that was originally geared towards the Gear Fit, but this is confirmed to be working with the Gear 2 / Gear 2 Neo with some changes to the files used.
- Visit the XDA Developers forum and download the Galaxy Gear Manager app. Current version is 2.0.14031004.
- Install the .apk file on your Android device. To do this go into Settings – General – Security, and select Unknown Sources. If you do not understand the implications, then please do not do this.
- Use a file manager to Launch the Downloaded GearManager1_2.apk file.
- Once Installed try connecting to your Smartwatch. You may need to cancel the connection from your Smart Phone (not the smartwatch), then retry for it to finally connect.
Phones confirmed working:
This following list is for Gear Fit compatibility, but it SHOULD be the same for Gear 2 / Gear 2 Neo:
- All variants of the M8
- All variants of the M7
- Nexus 4
- Nexus 5
- Nexus 7
- Xperia Z Ultra
- Xperia SP
- Moto X
- Find my Device
- Heart Rate
- Reject Calls
- Media Controls
- Watchface customizer
- Pretty much everything
What doesn’t work:
- No Weather
- No music controller (not player)
- No WatchOn
- No SVoice
- No Schedule
- Pretty much anything that uses a Samsung Account or Samsung Services
Thanks to hidea for his input on the above.
XDA Developer aooga is working on the folowing:
- Samsung services
- Linking a Samsung account to the application. All help welcome 🙂
Please let us know if this works for you in the comments?