We have previously had a look at the standalone navigation app called Gear Navigator created by software house Mobiteka. Now, there is a newer version 2.1.0, that offers many improvements on the initial offering. The app now offers alternative routes and they will be displayed for the user to select. Now we have full support for all the Gear S range of smartwatches – the Gear S, S2 and S3. Some users didn’t like the map loading speeds of version 1.0, so the latest version promises on vastly improving loads times.
With the app, you get GPS navigation software on your Gear S, S2 or S3 smartwatch with the ability to directly enter the route on your wearable tech’s screen. Upcoming turns are displayed showing you exactly where you need to go.
This is a standalone app that can use the Internal GPS of your watch, but still has the need for data. If you want true standalone functionality you need a smartwatch with 3G / LTE data access. Otherwise, you need to connect it to your smartphone, but that is the usual setup anyway.
What’s new in this version
Public transportation mode (+ walking, bicycling, driving like in the previous version)
Alternative routes (if found additional routes are shown, user can switch between them)
Interactive route script viewer (user can preview whole route step by step)
Improved map loading
Works on Gear S, S2, S3
- Works as standalone application without smartphone connection (if only smartwatch has GPS and Internet data connection enabled)
- Turn by turn navigation
- Map View + Satellite View + Street View™
- Four route modes: walking, bicycling, driving and public transportation
- Shows alternative routes
- Auto route recalculation when out of the route
- Voice guidance in your language
- Two display pages: Map page with live updated map + direction instructions and
- Maneuver page showing upcoming maneuver, live left distance, total distance and arrival time
- Up to two route waypoints
- Interactive route script with all details
- Searching locations via typing, voice commands and map acquiring
- Show suggested places (POI) related to searched location
- Route restrictions (tolls, highways etc.)
- Vibra advanced notifications – different vibrations depending on maneuver type
- Battery saving mode
- Night mode
- Works on Gear S, Gear S2 and Gear S3
Available in the Galaxy Apps Store for £1.99 with a download size of 2.41MB.