Samsung Gear S2 and S3 are military grade smartwatches which are powered by Tizen OS and allows you to stay in touch without reaching out to your phone. App Maps Standalone + Walk Navigator app was recently added to the Tizen Store for Gear S2 and S3 and it is meant you make your smartwatch more interesting. This is coming after the recent addition of navigation app Ocean Sailor, and news apps, The Guardian/The New York Times
With this app, you get GPS navigation software on your Gear S2 or S3 smartwatch with the ability to locate different places right from your wrist. Distances and directions can also be gotten.
Please note that locations cannot be obtained on a device that has no GPS.
- Access Google Map on your watch.
- Zoom in/out by rotating bezel.
- Press to icon location to find your location and show in the center.
- Press to icon direction then press two points on map to get direction between two location by walk.
- Switch between road map and satellite.
- Touch screen to browse map.
- Automatic update your location every 20 seconds (if GPS is enabled).
As a reminder, the Samsung Gear S2 or S3 runs on Tizen OS which was launched six years ago. Since its launch, Samsung has consistently promoted this operating system by encouraging developers with incentive programs like the Tizen Mobile App Incentive Program, which is scheduled to run from February to October, and the Indonesia Next Apps (INA) 4.0 which has helped a lot and many Tizen developers have benefitted immensely from these programs. As of now, there are thousands of developers on the Tizen platform and over 3000 applications. Although Android still dominate most of Samsung’s devices, the exponential growth of the Tizen OS is overwhelming and cannot be overlooked.