Back is April, HP announced the Chromebook x2, a convertible 2-in-1 Chromebook laptop with a detachable screen. The much-anticipated Chromebook, which happens to be the world’s first detachable Chrome device, was launched in the US earlier this month, at a starting price of $600. However, as has always been the case with Chromebooks from many other OEMs, the HP Chromebook x2 was also not made available outside of the US, not until now. But that’s set to change. The Chromebook x2 has just turned up on Google’s UK Chromebook page. The sale isn’t live yet, but it will be soon.
HP Chromebook x2
Chromebook x2 is only the second tablet (yes, it indeed is a tablet too) to run Chrome OS, after the Chromebook Tab 10 by Acer. It features a completely detachable screen, unlike the Chromebook x360 by HP, which merely flips the keyboard behind the screen. It also supports stylus input.
The Chromebook x2 was launched in the US with a price tag of $599.99, including the keyboard dock and the stylus. And in the UK too, it is listed with a like-for-like price – £599.99 – with just a currency change only. No specifications are listed yet, but if the like-for-like price is anything to go by, HP will launch the same model in the UK too. Here’s a brief overview of the specs of the US model:
- 7th generation Intel 1GHz Core m3 processor, with integrated Intel HD Graphics
- 12.3-inch IPS WLED touchscreen display of 2400 x 1600 resolution, with multitouch support and Gorilla Glass protection
- 4 GB RAM and 32 GB of integrated storage expandable up to 256GB, and 100GB of Google Drive space
- Two USB Type-C ports, dual stereo speakers, microSD card slot and a 3.5mm headphone jack
- 5MP “Wide Vision” front camera, and 13MP rear camera
- 4-cell Lithium-ion battery providing up to 10 hours of battery life
- Support for Google Play Store (Android apps)
Google’s UK site for Chromebook x2 says “available at” but no retailers are listed as of yet. Presumably, the sale will go live soon at Google Store and hopefully other sellers like Curry’s PC and Amazon UK. Stay tuned to know when the sale goes live.