With Google suspending Huawei's Android license earlier this month, the Chinese phonemaker has been forced to speed up the development of its home-grown mobile OS. Code-named HongMeng, the Android OS alternative is reportedly coming to Huawei's home country China later this year. It could be ready for a global roll out early next year.
Earlier this week, a Huawei executive told TechRadar that its OS will be launching in June 2019 itself. However, the company later reached them confirming that there has been some confusion internally. The actual launch date is still slated for late 2019, or early 2020, the company said.
On May 20, Google announced that it would partially suspend Huawei's Android license, dealing a significant blow to its business. The suspension is a result of the US Commerce Department's decision of placing the Chinese company on the Entity List. Google has since been joined by Intel, Qualcomm, Micron, ARM, and a number of other tech companies in cutting off business with Huawei. Even the Bluetooth, SD and WiFi alliances have also restricted their dealings with the company. Huawei was given an extension till August 19, but that does little for its interest.
Huawei, in fact, already knew this was coming, and was preparing for it. It already have an app store named Huawei App Gallery, and is also developing its own operating system. The OS, which could be called Ark OS when launched, will be compatible with mobile phones, computers, tablets, TVs, smartwatches, and others.
Huawei promises compatibility for every Android app on its OS. However, if it can bring all apps from the Google Play Store to Huawei App Gallery is something to look forward to. We've seen many mobile OSes failing to do so in the past. Windows Phone, BlackBerry OS, and Tizen, all effectively died of lack of app support. And if Huawei fails too, than it'll have a tough time convincing potential customers to buy its phones.